Winter is almost certainly upon us, and this is the time we all love comfort food. And not just us, but our furkids too, so watch this space, over the next few weeks we’ll be bringing you a selection of tasty treats that are so easy to make, a good deal cheaper than store bought biscuits, and full of natural ingredients. So even if you’re not a wizz in the kitchen, try these out, your pets will love them.
Gourmet K-9 Biscuits
This recipe makes a beautiful, flaky, golden biscuit you’ll want to eat with your dog! I know because I’ve made them. Makes about 50.
- 50ml cup of water 2 eggs 2 cups all purpose flour (I prefer to use wholewheat as its healthier) 325ml cups grated cheddar cheese 3 garlic cloves 125ml vegetable oil
- Preheat oven to 200°
- Whisk together eggs & water in a small bowl & set aside
- Blend flour, cheese, garlic & vegetable oil in a food processor for about 5 seconds. Scrape the sides of the bolw and blend again. The mix should be coarsely textured
- Drizzle in the egg & water mixture until a dough ball forms
- Divide dough into 2 balls
- Knead each ball on a floured surface
- Roll out with a rolling pin to about ¼ inch thickness
- Cut with a cookie cutter (try to source one shaped like a dog bone) and place on a greased baking sheet
- Bake for about 15 minutes, then turn biscuits over and bake for a further 10 minutes
- Cool on a rack
* All recipes courtesy of MacPherson’s K-9 Cookbook